The Regent Bridge
A road bridge that was built in the 19th Century, Regent Bridge is neoclassical in style and passes above Calton Road in Edinburgh.
Designed to improve the entry to the city, its construction saw streets demolished to make way for it. When it was officially opened in 1819, it provided a link between Calton Hill and Princes Street.
The arch itself is semicircular and 15m wide. To the north, it is almost 14m high, but increases to almost 20m high on it’s south front. due to declining ground level.
The bridge is beautifully decorated, featuring Corinthian columns and ornamental arches.
The clients on this project were Edinburgh Art Festival and Ingleby Gallery and it was realised with support from The Scottish Government’s Edinburgh Festivals Expo Fund, Edinburgh World Heritage and Bailie Gifford.
Artist Callum Innes was supported by Consultant Lighting Designer FOTO-MA and installation completed by contractor Braidwood Building Contractors and the City of Edinburgh Council.