St Mary's Lighthouse, UK
St Mary’s Lighthouse is located on a very small island just off the coast of Whitley Bay in the north east of England.
The existing lighthouse was built in 1898 alongside a row of keeper’s cottages. Its purpose remained the same as centuries earlier – to warn passing ships. Instead of a lantern, a paraffin-powered rotating optic was installed and eventually electrified in 1977 when the lamp was replaced by a revolving sealed beam lamp.
Seven years’ later, the lighthouse was decommissioned, later being reopened as a visitor attraction. Today, the Grade II listed building is open to tourists who visit the island’s museum, café and visitor centre.
Instead of shining light from the lighthouse, this new installation means luminaires shine light on the lighthouse, making it standout to observers for very different reasons. Park Lighting Design created the scheme for North Tyneside Council and the project’s key considerations were wiring and luminaire aesthetics. The lighting objectives were to achieve suitable luminance and colour control to create a dynamic colour effect without over-lighting the lighthouse.